Municipalities

Alijó

Alijó is a village that belongs to the District of Vila Real, it has about 2800 inhabitants; It is the centre of a municipality with 298 km2 of area. This village is situated in Serra de Vilarelho, at about 800 meters of altitude, where the fresh air, peace and quiet are plentiful.

In the square of the village there is a monument in honor of the man from the Douro Region, a tribute to all growers who participated in movements of revolt during the crises in the history of Port Wine. The County offers breathtaking landscapes, with slopes covered with terraced vineyards, perched over the River Douro.

In Favaios one can find the best honey and bread of the region, as well as the sweet Moscatel Wine.

Pinhão is an emblematic port depot of the old Port Wine transport in Rabelo boats to Vila Nova de Gaia, here is located the train station with an extraordinary collection of tiled panels illustrating the whole vine and wine cycle.

Armamar

It is a historical village, of gothic origin, located about 500 meters above sea level on the slope of a hill. In its history it is included the passage of D. Afonso Henriques (1st King of Portugal) and his noble servant D. Egas Moniz.

Its viewpoints overlook magnificent landscapes where there are lands that are divided into apple orchards and vineyards. There is also land with “Medronheiros”, Arbutus (sweet and sour-tasting red fruits) that are mostly transformed into alcohol.

The cuisine is rich, being the oven roasted kid the most traditional dish accompanied by fine wines. The craft is singular (tinwork, weaving, cooperage, basketry and wooden shoes).

Cinfães

Cinfães is a multisecular territory, with the first royal Charter granted by King Manuel I- the “Fortunate”, on the 1st May 1513. However, the history is even more comprehensive, reaching about 5 millennia of occupation, when the Pesures (PAESURV)- pre-Celt people of the Neolithic and Chalcolithic - arrived, by the Douro River.

In the foreseeable future, the conditions of navigability of the River Douro and the important location of Porto Antigo –in Oliveira do Douro, alongside the liberalisation of agricultural products, brought more and more men to the territory and, among powerful families and good workers, Alexandre, Serpa Pinto was born, in the 21st century. He left Cinfães to discover and identify Africa, and he went back to his hometown to convey his knowledge to the world.

Bestança Valley, in Tendais, and the Ardena Valley, in Nespereira, accompanying the rivers with the same names, are typically rural, filled with hiking paths and they complement the unique biodiversity of the protected nooks from the invasion. They are also strong ethnographic destinations, with the most diverse cultural traditions and crafts.

Freixo de Espada à Cinta

Freixo de Espada à Cinta is a village in the District of Bragança, about 470 meters above sea level and with about 2100 inhabitants. It is located in the National Park of International Douro.

In this village the landscape is magnificent and essentially taken over by vineyards and olive trees but also by almond and orange trees.

It is a historical town, with an immense heritage where the Manueline architecture dominates the landscape.

The village name has several explanations: for some it is due to the name of a Goth warrior (Espadacinta), to others it is because of the Coat of Arms of a Spanish nobleman or the story that King D. Dinis hung his sword in an ash tree (freixo) next to the Castle when he visited the land in the 14th century.

Lamego

Lamego is a town in the District of Viseu, with about 10796 inhabitants. It was one of the first cities to have a Bishop’s house.

It is a historic and monumental city because it has numerous monuments, churches and stately houses.

The pilgrimage of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, held in September, attracts many visitors to the city. During the Festival the city is invaded by cultural and religious events and many emotions: there are processions, parades, bands, folklore and fireworks.

The city offers a delicious cuisine, particularly the convent sweets (sweet traditional Portuguese desserts based on egg yolks and sugar). The craft is rich and diverse.

Mesão Frio

It is a village in the District of Vila Real, located right in front of the Montemuro Mountain and at the foothills of Marão.

The County is on the border of the demarcated Douro region, it is surrounded by vineyards and quintas (farmhouses, mansions) overlooking the Douro river. On its slopes there are stately houses and 18th century manor houses that were built in prosperous times in what concerns production and Port Wine trade.

It is a land of good wine and good food; the traditional recipes are: shad, lamprey, trout, roasted kid, gilt (pork), and sugar confectionery: sweets and candies from Donsumil and “falachas” (small oven baked cakes made with chopped chestnuts’ flour, wrapped in chestnut leaf).

Moimenta da Beira

It is a village in the District of Viseu. The village of Moimenta da Beira was formed in the 13th century by Egas Moniz, after resettlement, made by count D. Henrique, after the Christian Reconquest.

Its mountainous and granitic landscape in contrast with the riverside area of Albufeira do Vilar attracted prehistoric population: civilizations of the Castro culture, Romans and Arabs. In Moimenta da Beira one can find many prehistoric remains and inviting river beaches with a pleasant atmosphere to relax.

There are apple orchards and fields of potatoes and cereals; green pastures covered with cattle and flocks of sheep.

Mogadouro

Situated in the Northeast of Trás-os-Montes, in the Planalto Mirandês, between the rivers Douro and Sabor, Mogadouro is an extensive municipality, 756 Km2, with 28 parishes, 56 settlements, with 11350 inhabitants, and it presents an ancient settlement that takes us back to prehistoric times. Documenting this occupation, there are the villages of Barrocal/Alto and of Cunho, the megalithic monuments of Pena Mosqueira, Sanhoane, Barreiro, Modorra, the rock art of Fraga da Letra, in Penas Roias, and other disseminated findings that can be seen in the Archaeology Museum of the village.

Its economy is based on agriculture and cattle breeding, particularly in the dairy sector with a daily production that exceeds 100,000 litres. The olive oil of the Sabor Valley, the grapes of the Douro Valley, the cork, the wool, the honey, the sausages, the certified Mirandesa meat (Mirandese breed) and others constitute the richness of Mogadouro.

Murça

Murça is a village in the District of Vila Real with about 2200 inhabitants. “Porca de Murça” (Female Pig from Murça) is the ex libris of the village, a Celtic sculpture that represents one of the deities of this people, the wild boar.

Its harsh landscape in the transition between the schist from Douro and the granite from Trás-os-Montes delighted several Portuguese kings.

The extensive olive groves and vines are the greatest treasure of this population. The olive oil from Murça has already been award some prizes and it was considered, several times, one of the best in the world.

Peso da Régua

Régua is a town in the District of Vila Real with about 9353 inhabitants.

It is the capital of the demarcated Douro region. Marquês de Pombal transformed it into a very busy trading post where Rabelo boats departed to take the Port Wine to Vila Nova de Gaia.

This town is surrounded by stunning vineyards and farms, it is currently very lively and busy, and the river has, of course, a key role.

Currently the river Douro is visited in Régua by recreational and cruise boats.

Penedono

Penedono is a village in the District of Viseu, with about 1100 inhabitants. The Medieval Castle from the 11th century dominates the landscape. According to history the famous “Grão Magriço” was born in this castle, one of “the twelve of England”, immortalized in the book “Os Lusíadas” by Luís de Camões.

Its golden age was during the Second World War, when the precious Wolfram was discovered. It was then extracted to help in the construction of military armament.

Penedono landscape is fantastic and displays strong contrasts. The soils are occupied with large chestnut trees, pastures and ancient megalithic monuments. The people’s devotion to the Patron Saints is expressed in festivals and fairs which enliven the devotional parishes.

Resende

Just an hour away from Porto, on the South Bank of the Douro River, there is the municipality of Resende. The gateway to the Douro wine region, classified as World Heritage site, Resende provides unforgettable landscapes. The mountainous topography offers this region a unique character, marked by the course of the river and by the slope of Montemuro.

Here you can still find several remains of the ancient inhabitants of the region, from a period which dates back to prehistory. The nature, the heritage, the Spa of Caldas de Arêgos, the handicrafts, the folklore and gastronomy are the main reasons for a visit.

Resende is one of the largest domestic producers of cherry, and this is one of the most important sources of income of the population.

Caldas de Arêgos is one of the most recognized thermal spaces in the North of the country. The sulphurous, bicarbonated, with sodium and fluorinated waters used there are indicated for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, skin diseases, respiratory problems and gynaecological disorders. The current resort was fully rebuilt in the 1990s.

As far as traditional arts are concerned the black clay pottery, the basketry, the hat making, the lace and the embroidery stand out.

Sabrosa

Sabrosa is a village in the District of Vila Real with about 1200 inhabitants. Fernão Magalhães, one of the largest Portuguese navigators, was born there.

It is a village with a Charter, which, from a very early age, hosted barbarians, romans, moors and knights.

Its landscape is divided between the granite and the rough landscape in contrast with the terraced vineyards which are part of the Alto Douro wine region. It was an inspiration for several generations of artists and it enchanted Miguel Torga, a native of São Martinho de Anta.

Its architectural richness is very present in manor and stately houses spread throughout the County. The chapel of Nossa Senhora da Azinheira in São Martinho de Anta and the main Church of Celeiró do Douro are also worth visiting.

Santa Marta de Penaguião

Santa Marta de Penaguião is a village in the District of Vila Real with about 1300 inhabitants. Located in the heart of the Douro region and protected by the Marão Mountain, it has a wonderful landscape with terraced vineyards.

It has the largest wine cooperative in the region that produces good table wine and Port Wine.

It is a village with plenty of history, traditions and cultural and natural heritage.

The first Charter was awarded to the village by King Sancho I in 1202, lands that at the time belonged to the son of D. Egas Moniz, during the reign of the founder of the Portuguese nationality, D. Afonso Henriques.

São João da Pesqueira

São João da Pesqueira is a village in the District of Viseu, with about 2000 inhabitants, located at about 850 meters above sea level. The name Pesqueira (Fishing) dates back to the 12th century, and it was due to the abundance of fish in the waters near the rocky enclave “Cachão da Valeira”.

The village has one of the oldest Portuguese Charters, granted by D. Fernando, “the great”, King of Castile and Leon.

In this village the landscape is largely green, with vineyards, olive and almond trees. The belvederes overlook superb Douro sceneries with a charming beauty.

The squares and the streets are full of Manor houses, Romanesque churches and chapels, and they have met important people of our history such as the count of Távora or Marquês de Pombal.

Sernancelhe

Sernancelhe é uma Vila do Distrito de Viseu com cerca de 1 200 habitantes, localizada aos pés da Serra da Lapa. Terra de Aquilino Ribeiro, um dos maiores escritores portugueses do século XX.

É atualmente conhecida como “Terra dos Mosteiros”, pois os seus mosteiros, igrejas, solares e casas senhoriais provam a atracão a estas terras por fidalgos e senhores, monges e feriras.

O Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Lapa arrasta muitos peregrinos, aqui acontece uma Majestosa Romaria.

Lugar de devoção e culto, mas também de alegria, festa e romarias.

Sernancelhe is a village in the District of Viseu, with about 1200 inhabitants, located at the foothills of Serra da Lapa. It is the hometown of Aquilino Ribeiro, one of the greatest Portuguese writers of the 20th century.

It is currently known as “Land of the Monasteries” since its monasteries, churches, stately and Manor houses prove the attraction to these lands by noblemen, monks and nuns.

The shrine of Nossa Senhora da Lapa attracts many pilgrims: in there a majestic pilgrimage takes place.

It is a place of devotion and worship, but also of joy, celebration and pilgrimages.

Tabuaço

Tabuaço is a village in the District of Viseu, with about 1800 inhabitants.

The roots of this town date back to the troubled times of the Christian reconquest and the formation of the nationality.

The river Távora runs through these lands, which welcomed the Cistercian Monks; along the course of the River, the monastery and the chapel of São Pedro das Águias were built in the medieval period.

It is a land of contrasts, between a mountain and a valley, the banks of the river are of rare beauty, all accompanied by a lot of tranquility and fresh air.

In Tabuaço one can find abundant archaeological remains, Manor houses and ancient monuments.The vineyards produce good table wine and high quality Port Wine.

Tarouca

Tarouca is a small town in the District of Viseu, with about 1111 inhabitants. It is located at the foothills of Serra de Santa Helena.

There are Cistercian monasteries (Monastery of S. João de Tarouca and the Monastery of Santa Maria de Salzedas), ancient abbeys and rare bridges.

The Varosa River crosses the municipality and at various points it is possible to practice some extreme sports as well as to enjoy river beaches in Mondim da Beira, Ucanha and Várzea da Serra.

It is also a paradise for outdoor sports lovers and paragliding and hanggliding practitioners.

It is a land of vineyards, pastures, and good fish from the Varosa River. Visiting Tarouca is a journey into the past, where the tradition, art and culture abound.

Torre de Moncorvo

Torre de Moncorvo is a village in the District of Bragança with about 3000 inhabitants. It is located on the hillside of Serra do Reboredo.

Moncorvo probably had medieval origins; it is said that in the 12th and 13th century, there was a settlement called Santa Cruz da Vilariça, which was granted a Charter in 1225.

It is the land of almond trees. Their blooming, by spring, attracts many visitors to appreciate the white cloak that joins the green landscape and the brown colour of the soil.

The townhall of Torre de Moncorvo organizes the Blooming Almond Trees Festival (in February and March) where one can also taste the local gastronomy.

The basic ingredient of the gastronomy is the almond: covered with a thin layer of sugar or with cinnamon and chocolate.

Vila Nova de Foz Côa

Vila Nova de Foz Côa é uma cidade do Distrito da Guarda com cerca de 3 300 habitantes.

O seu primeiro foral foi-lhe concedido em 1299, por D. Dinis. Em 1514 D. Manuel I concedeu um novo foral. No concelho existem 3 monumentos nacionais: o castelo de Numão, o Pelourinho de Vila Nova de Foz Côa e a Igreja Matriz da mesma vila. Esta cidade possui um património raríssimo e muito belo conhecido para além das fronteiras nacionais e da Península Ibérica.

Património Mundial da Humanidade pela UNESCO em 1998 é a arte paleolítica que se encontra nestas terras ao ar livre numa extensão de 17 km.

É o maior legado dos nossos antepassados do período paleolítico, a visita ao Parque Arqueológico é obrigatória.

Mas as gravuras não são os únicos pontos de interesse destas terras, há também as vinhas, os olivais e amendoais, que oferecem paisagens fantásticas e produtos de excelente qualidade.

Vila Nova de Foz Côa is a town in the District of Guarda with about 3300 inhabitants.

The first Charter was granted in 1299, by D. Dinis. In 1514 King Manuel I gave a new Charter. In the municipality there are 3 national monuments: the castle of Numão, the pillory of Vila Nova de Foz Côa and the Igreja Matriz (Main church) of the same village. This city has a very rare and beautiful heritage known beyond national borders and beyond the Iberian Peninsula.

The Palaeolithic art found in these lands, outdoors, over a length of 17 km was considered World Heritage by UNESCO in 1998. It is the greatest legacy of our ancestors of the Palaeolithic period, the visit to the Archaeological Park should be mandatory.

But the prints are not the only points of interest of these lands, there are also vineyards, olive groves and almond trees, which offer an extraordinary scenery and excellent quality products.

Vila Real

Vila real is a town in the District of Vila Real, with about 25000 inhabitants.

It is located at the confluence of the rivers Corgo and Cabrila, and in the background there are Serra do Alvão and Serra do Marão (farther away), situated about 450 meters above sea level.

It is a city with beautiful monuments: temples and noble houses. The shrine of Panoias, a pagan rupestrian shrine rom the Roman times, is a rarity in the heritage of the County.

The City has developed a lot to this day, however, the signs of its history have never been obliterated, and in its historic centre you can find new and old buildings. The University of Trás-os-Montes is an inexorable point of importance that confirms the importance that Vila Real has in the economy of the interior of Portugal, being the centre of regional knowledge disseminating highly skilled young people through the regional economy.